Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Should I go to a film festival?


GI Film Festival
#GIFF2017


Film lovers and independent filmmakers should attend film festivals to meet like-minded people who love movies. Below you will see a list of things that a person would consider before attending a festival of their choice.


What do I do at a film festival?
-Pass out your business cards to people who you’d like to connect with
-Attend every possible industry panel and film screening with Q & A
-Follow up with each person who gives you contact information within 72 hours
-Be on time, all the time
-Make notes after important conversations


Is it expensive to attend a film festival?
-Be a volunteer at any festival that you’d like to attend
-Offer your services in exchange for a festival pass
-Buy tickets to individual screenings that you want to attend only
-Travel with friends and share costs
-Ask people who have attended that festival about a “survival guide”


What happens at a film festival?
-Filmmakers who are producing quality projects meet each other
-Gather information about upcoming productions that you may want to work on
-Meet festival sponsors and board members with connections
-Recruit film crew and talent for your future films
-Film screenings of independent projects followed by Q & A with filmmakers




Who do I talk to at a film festival?
-Everyone who will listen to you
-Make a list of people who you want to meet
-Why do you want to meet certain people; have questions prepared
-Ask the audience questions about their experience at the festival
-Board members, Jury members, filmmakers



What is my pitch?
-What can I tell people about myself
-Can I explain my project in less than 2 minutes
-Have a specific ASK
-Who is my target audience for my pitch
-Rehearsals are key to pitching better


I would encourage any independent filmmaker to attend the GI Film Festival in Washington D.C. from May 24 – May 28, 2017. You will enjoy 5 days of greatness at the 11th season of the “Sundance for the Troops” in D.C. this year.           -George Ohan




#GIFF2017


Prepared by: 
George Ohan
Digital Content Producer
#FultonFilmCompany

No comments:

Post a Comment