Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Hollywood actor appreciates his freedom

Written by, Actor: Mr. J Blakemore


Festival dates: May 24 - May 28, 2017
OPEN to the Public.


I’d like to say a few words about freedom. I know it will be coming up because we are talking about G.I’s and whenever you talk about the military, freedom becomes the central focus. My entire family served… dad was career Air Force, my brother was in the Gulf when it was called Desert Shield (yeah. I’m that old) my sister was in the army for a stint, my other sister married a guy stationed in a town called Knob Noster… so I know what the fighting part of freedom is about. 



That’s the part we can identify from across the room without looking too hard. That’s the picture of freedom we all know.



I’d like to talk about the freedom that the GI Film Festival gives, though. It’s a freedom for GI’s; not coming from them. It’s the freedom to tell their stories and be heard. It’s the freedom to create and produce. It’s the ephemeral freedom they endangered their lives to make sure the rest of us get on a daily basis. 




It’s the joined effort of military and civilian artists to convey those stories and help everyone understand each other better because we not only get to see their stories, we often get to help bring them to life. This brand of freedom- the freedom to truly tell your own story in your own way- is the rarest of freedoms to too many GIs. There’s no overstating the worth of this freedom. There’s no overselling how important this kind of freedom is.




More than simply being a freedom, though, it benefits everyone involved. It doesn’t matter if you’re participating in building the production or if you are just an audience member. That’s the beauty of it. We all get rewarded by this happening. It opens doors for vets to join in the creative community and go so far as to establish lifelong careers. 




It benefits the audience because they get to understand the people who chose to protect them by seeing their stories in their own words and images. It benefits film students in spades because they get to watch these films and often work hand in hand with these people; learning together as they create. The connections that come from working on these projects will last a lifetime.




The GI Film Festival is, at its best, a glimpse into the future; a look at film professionals being born by telling their own stories. There is very little I can name that’s cooler than that.


Festival dates: May 24 - May 28, 2017


OPEN to the Public.


I had the opportunity to work with some vets on a short I was in several years ago. It ended up playing at festivals around the country (the GI Film Festival among them if I remember correctly). Working with men and women who put the same discipline into film making as they did the military was an incredible treat. 








Presently, I have been dedicating my creative time to writing novels and getting a decent agent to market them, but I can safely say I hope to work together with any of these people again. It was a wonderful time and reminded me how much fun you could have while being amazingly disciplined professionals. 




I am sold for life on the idea of vets working in film after the experience I had with each and every person on that set. I hope they will find your support as well.




Blog posted by:
Fulton Film Company
Fresno, California

Guest writer: J Blakemore

No comments:

Post a Comment